Thursday, February 21, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala

While serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I met a family in Norman, Oklahoma who introduced me to many different types of food. One of those being, Curry... one bite and I was in love!  To this day I don't know exactly what kind of curry it was, but I still remember those wonderful flavors that were combined with fresh fruits and peas (which I totally forgot this time).  I have been meaning to introduce some of these dishes to my kids in hopes that they would love them too.  They weren't so sure about it this time, but we'll try again, and again, and again...  Here is my version of a low-fat Tikka Masala perfect for a busy day, just toss it in the crock pot and go on with your day.  The smells will make your stomach growl in anticipation all day long.
Crock pot Chicken Tikka Masala

Adapted from Skinny taste

Ingredients:
1 small onion, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tbsp chili powder
salt to taste
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
brown rice
cilantro
mandarin oranges
pineapple tidbits, or fresh pineapple
frozen peas, thawed or warmed
shredded coconut

Directions
Place onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, yogurt, milk, cumin, garam masala, tumeric, chili powder and salt in crock pot.  Whisk until yogurt is combined evenly.  Add chicken.  Turn the crock pot on to low and cook for 6-8 hours.  Serve over brown rice, and top with cilantro, mandarin oranges, pineapple, peas, and coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...