Monday, March 18, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Salad

I mentioned before just how much I love salads.  I also have an unhealthy obsession with buffalo wings.  No matter how much I try to convince myself that they are remotely good for me, I just can't justify eating them as often as I'd like.  Until now...  I've been able to lighten up the wings and make them just as delicious, satisfying both the Hubs and myself.  I just love when kitchen experiments result in a silent meal because everyone is to busy enjoying their meal (that rarely happens at our house, there is always someone dancing around the table, or getting into something they shouldn't, and complaining about something on their plate).  Tonight was not that night.
Buffalo Chicken Salad
serves 2
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed of any visible fat and cut into 1/2 inch thick strips
1/3 cup mayonnaise or plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup hot sauce (my favorite for this is Franks hot sauce)
1-1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 head romaine lettuce
1 carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
blue cheese crumbles
blue cheese salad dressing
more hot sauce (you can't ever have too much)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Get two small bowls, in one bowl mix the mayo/yogurt and hot sauce.  In the second bowl place the panko bread crumbs.  Pat dry the chicken with a paper towel and place chicken in the mayo/yogurt, hot sauce mixture.  Then place it in the panko and coat it completely.  Repeat with each piece of chicken and place them on a baking sheet coated with a light layer of cooking spray.

Bake the chicken for 12-15 minutes or until the center is no longer pink and juices run clear.

Meanwhile, prepare your salad.  Wash and chop the lettuce and toss with carrots and celery.  Divide onto two plates.

When the chicken is completely cooked, top each salad with chicken, sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles, and salad dressing.  Then add a few dashes of hot sauce, however much you prefer.  Enjoy.

There is no need for croutons with this delightful salad.  The panko gives the crunchiness and the chicken stays moist and is full of flavor.  Simply delicious!  I think I may have another contender for my favorite salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...