Monday, March 4, 2013

The Perfect Salad

I am always on the hunt for the perfect salad.  You'd think salads are just veggies, and dressing... maybe add some croutons or cheese, but pretty basic.  I love salad!  I could eat salad for three meals a day (I have actually done that some days too ;) ).  As Spring approaches and berries are back in season, I am so excited to get back into making salads with "flare".  Today I think I got pretty close to making the perfect salad.   If you've never tried adding berries to your salad, let me be the first to tell you... DO IT!  One of my first experiences with berries in a salad was over 10 years ago while I was working as a Nanny in Southern California.  The family I worked for did not cook, they had a kitchen, but I don't think anyone ever used it... except once in a while Mrs. D would make a salad that I often to this day still dream about.  It was a typical Caesar salad with the addition of fresh avocado right off the tree, and sliced strawberries.  I love that combination and have often made it for my family as well.  

Today's salad included:
Romaine lettuce, chopped
Spinach, chopped
red onion, sliced very thin
Slivered almonds
Feta Cheese, crumbled
Strawberries, cut into large chunks
Blueberries, rinsed and dried.

I topped it with a blush vinaigrette that complimented it all very well.  I made one for the Hubs dinner tonight too because he was still sleeping when I made lunch (gotta love the graveyard shift) and am anxious to hear what he has thinks after he gets a chance to try it out.

So, my question for all of you is...  

What is your favorite salad?  I'd love to hear your favorites, and would also love to try them out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...