Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Peanut Tamarind Sweet Potato Curry

At least once a week I make a meatless meal for my family.  Not for any particular reason, other than variety.  I feel that if I offer my girls a great variety they'll develop the pallet for it  and eventually really love to eat meat free options too.  I've tried quite a few vegetarian dishes but this one is by far my favorite! 

When the Hubs began his current job he invited a coworker over for dinner and he is vegetarian so I needed a good recipe quick.  I emailed my lovely friend Katherine, and she shared this wonderful dish. It is fast, simple and uses ingredients that are easy to keep in the pantry or refrigerator so you are ready to whip it up at a moments notice.  So far, everyone we've made this for has loved it!  I hope you'll give it a try too, you'll never even miss the meat!


Peanut Tamarind Sweet Potato Curry
(I love the combination of cauliflower and sweet potato, so I sub cauliflower for about half of the sweet potato. You could do more or less if you wanted to.)
Serves 4

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lg sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 Tb minced fresh ginger
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup veg broth
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 c peanut butter, creamy or chunky
1 Tb brown sugar (or maple syrup)
1 tsp tamarind paste
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups cooked brown rice


1. heat skillet with oil over med high heat. Add potatoes, saute 1 min. Add ginger, cook 1 minute. Stir in curry powder, cook 1 minute. Add broth, cover, reduce heat to med low. Simmer potatoes 10 min or until soft.
2. Whisk together (blender is best) juice, peanut butter, brown sugar, tamarind paste, salt. Add to sweet potato mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Serve over rice.

*If using cauliflower  add it just before adding the broth.  Otherwise it'll overcook and become mushy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...