Thursday, May 16, 2013

Dark Chocolate Sorbet (Dairy Free!)

The other night I decided it was time to start making ice cream regularly again.  Last summer I don't think we ever bought any ice cream, but made it fresh weekly.  Narrowing down which flavor to make is always the hardest part for me.  I like them all, from salted caramel, to roasted strawberry and buttermilk, to a deep dark chocolate.  It is so hard to choose.  So, naturally, I put it out onto Facebook, asking my friends to help me decide.
One of my friends, whose son has numerous food allergies, asked if I'd do a dairy free recipe, either with coconut milk/cream or a sorbet with no dairy at all.  I loved that idea, especially since it is Food Allergy Awareness Week!  Dark Chocolate Sorbet was the way to go.  A rich dessert that will leave you satisfied and not missing the milk or cream at all.  Minimal ingredients and super easy instructions make this a great alternative for anyone really!

 

Dark Chocolate Sorbet
Makes 6 servings

2 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 ozs bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
2 tbsp vanilla

In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil.  Stir in the sugar and cocoa powder.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Remove from the heat and add chopped chocolate, and vanilla, stir until chocolate melts.

Pour mixture into a gallon size zip top bag and place in a large bowl filled with ice water. (make sure the bag is completely closed).  Let it sit for 30 minutes to cool completely.

Prepare your ice cream freezer, turn it on, and snip the corner of the zip top bag to pour contents into the, already running ice cream freezer.   Freeze according to manufacturers instructions.  Transfer to a freezer safe container, and freeze for at least 1 hour to set completely.

Enjoy!


Adapted from Cooking Light

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This looks amazing! My daughter has to avoid dairy, so this looks perfect! Found you at Allergy Friendly Friday where I shared my steak marinade recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...