Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I'm back and I brought Stuffing!

Over the summer I had a few health concerns that got me researching ways to feel better naturally.  In everything I read, going gluten free, seemed to be the best, and easiest way to go.  So, I dove in head first and went with it.  It took a little getting used to, especially since I love to bake, bread, cookies, muffins, cakes, whatever...  But, I'm finding some fantastic gluten free options that I will be sharing!

With Thanksgiving and Christmas rapidly approaching, I decided I better get moving and find some delicious ways for me to enjoy the holidays without making my family think they are missing out on the traditional dishes.  Today I'm excited to share the stuffing/dressing recipe that I've come up with.  We love it!  It is a cornbread based stuffing, filled with flavor and perfectly moist!



First you need to bake up some cornbread.  This one is my favorite! 

Gluten-Free Cornbread

4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
1/4 cup honey
1 3/4 cups sour cream
2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 can of corn, drained

preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 9 inch square baking dish, and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, honey, and sour cream.  When it is well combined, stir in the remaining ingredients, blending well after each addition.

Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Once the cornbread is done. remove it from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool. 

When it has cooled, cut it into 1/2 inch cubes.  Place on a baking sheet and return it to the oven, to toast the bread cubes and dry out a little.

While the cornbread is toasting gather the remaining ingredients

Holiday Cornbread Stuffing
4 tbsp butter
1 medium to large onion, diced
3 stalks of celery, sliced
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
1-2 tbsp poultry seasoning
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 recipe prepared cornbread, cubed and toasted in oven
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk
2 cups of chicken stock, or homemade chicken stock

In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, melt the butter, add the onion, celery, apples, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and parsley and cook, covered until everything has softened, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool, about 10-15 minutes.

Grease a 9x13 baking pan with butter. Set it aside.

Place the cubed, toasted cornbread in a large bowl, and stir in the cooled onion mixture. 

Combine the eggs and milk in a small bowl and whisk to combine.  Whisk in the chicken stock and pour the mixture over the cornbread mixture.  Pour into prepared dish and smooth the top.  Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, or until the egg is set, uncover and bake an additional 7-10 minutes until the stuffing is nicely browned.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...