Monday, March 4, 2013

Cornmeal Pancakes topped with Fresh Blueberries and Whipped Cream

I love shopping with my sisters.  Who wouldn't, right!?!  I am lucky to have 5 of the most amazing sisters anyone could ever ask for.  We all love creating, crafting, sewing, and food!  We often get together to just spend the day laughing and letting our kids play (I also love that my girls have an awesome relationship with their cousins... I think that is so important!) Of course when we get together there is always food involved... so how does this go back to shopping with my sisters?  Well, last weekend my older sister spent the day with my family and I.  We had a busy day planned.  It all started with our 5 year old getting her ears pierced. The Hubs and I made a deal with her that if she read 100 books, she could get them pierced.  Lucky for us she is already a reader, so it was done in no time!  Took her just about 3 months to get it completed.  After the trip to the mall, we did the fun stuff...  shopping for food :)

Before the day was over my head was swimming with wonderful ideas on how to use the newly acquired produce and other groceries that made their way into my cart.  One of those were a big container of fresh blueberries (thanks Sam's Club!).  I knew blueberry pancakes had to make it on the menu this week.  So that is where we start.

Cornmeal Pancakes topped with Fresh Blueberries and Whipped Cream

1-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
2-1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 pint blueberries (3/4 lb.), rinsed and picked through
Unsalted butter, for cooking (I used coconut oil... mmmm, my favorite!)
Heavy Cream whipped or a can of whipped cream

Make the pancakes In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the oil, eggs, and vanilla. Gently whisk the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until it’s mostly uniform (a few lumps are fine).
Heat a large stovetop griddle or large (12-inch) heavy-duty pan (like a cast-iron skillet) over medium heat until a droplet of water immediately evaporates upon hitting the pan. Melt a small pat of butter in the pan, pour in the batter (about 1/3 cup for each pancake). Leave space between each pancake so flipping them isn’t a problem. Cook the pancakes until bubbles form on top, the cakes set around the edges, and the bottoms brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until they brown and the cakes become just firm to the touch, about 2 more minutes. Serve immediately topped with fresh blueberries and whipped cream

adapted from finecooking.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...