Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Key Lime Scones

Once in a while we like to get fancy here for breakfast.  The girls love having tea parties with scones, and peppermint tea.  When I woke up this morning I immediately thought of scones, and as I walked into my kitchen I spied my fruit bowl, filled to the top with lemons and limes (I love citrus!) and thought to myself...  I'm going to make key lime scones, they'll be delicious and the girls will love them, I hope.  Not only did the girls like them, but they licked their plates clean.  

Key Lime Scones
Makes 12-16 scones (depending on how big you cut them)

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
zest of one lime, or 3 key limes
1 cup chilled butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 - 1 cup mini white chocolate chips
1 3/4 cups milk or heavy cream
for the glaze:
Juice of one lime or 3 key limes
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
 
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

In the bowl of your food processor place flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and lime zest pulse to combine.  Add butter and pulse until it resembles a medium crumb. pour into a medium bowl and stir in chocolate chips.  Stir in milk until just combined.  Divide the dough into two equal portions.  Place one portion on a lightly floured surface and flatten with your hands to form a disc about 1 inch thick.  Using a pizza cutter, cut into 6-8 wedges and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining dough.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.  

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk all ingredients for the glaze and set aside.

Place on a wire baking rack and drizzle the glaze over the scones (I've found if I place the wire baking rack on a piece of aluminum foil it is much easier clean-up).  Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. I LOVE making scones! I'll definitely give these a try and report back.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...