Sunday, March 3, 2013

Lunch Date with the Hubs and Bobby Deen

Friday afternoon the Hubs and I were able to attend a cooking class by Bobby Deen. I was so excited! I love the Deen's. Paula and her boys have been culinary inspirations to me throughout my adult life. I love their love of family, and gathering together in the kitchen. She is the kind of Mother I want to be. So, being able to learn from her son was truly an incredible experience and dream come true! We arrived early, hoping to get a decent seat.

We were one of the first to arrive and grabbed a seat right on the front row. There was nothing separating us from Bobby and the food, except the counter top. The perfect seats in my opinion :) The smells coming from the stove top were amazing. I was excited to taste his food too, how often do you get the opportunity to taste food made by a chef you find that inspiring!?! From the moment he walked in he was hilarious! Just kept us all laughing. The one request was that we ask lots of questions, questions about anything. Just as long as we didn't make him feel as if he was in an aquarium.


He told stories about his family, how his Mamma got started not only on the Food Network, but as a chef in general.  He told of the struggles she had with agoraphobia and not being able to even leave the house without it bringing on panic attacks.  He told of how she forced herself to overcome it, knowing she needed to provide for her boys after a divorce.  Listening to him talk about his Mamma and hearing the love, respect and pride he had for her was really heartwarming.  I really could have sat in that chair and listened to him for hours that day.  



When his class came to an end, we got to meet him, take pictures, and taste his food (that was the best part really).  He prepared a  Hearty Barley and Mushroom Soup. I am not a mushroom fan, I never have been, but when in a situation like this I was not about to pass up the opportunity to taste it.  I was surprised at how much I actually loved it!  On the way home we stopped and picked up the ingredients so I could make it and share the recipe with you all. 
And of course meeting Bobby, was awesome!  He was so personable, and easy to talk to.  I asked if he'd autograph my cookbook, and he did :)  We talked about a few of my favorite recipes in my book and he mentioned some of his favorites too.  It was fun to learn more about him.  Then we posed for a picture (which, unfortunately we didn't realize it was blurry until it was too late :(... But I have the memory, and the recipe, so I am one happy girl!)  Next time I meet him (wink, wink) I'll make sure the picture is clear.


We made this for our girls tonight, and paired it with some whole wheat dinner rolls (using my the recipe my friend Michele @ Sweet Luvin' in the Kitchen perfected), and key lime pie for dessert. I  had to have a little taste of spring/summer in there.  The soup, was just as delicious as Bobby had made.  The best part about this soup was the 160 calories per serving, and it is hearty, filling, and delicious.

 Hearty Barley and Mushroom Soup
Makes 6 servings

1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
2 cups boiling water
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large portobello mushroom caps, chopped (6-7 ozs)
1 large leek (white and green part only), halved lengthwise, sliced, and rinsed well
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 32 oz container reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup pearl barley, rinsed
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
6 tbsp plain fat-free Greek yogurt

Place dried mushrooms in a small bowl.  Pour the boiling water over the mushrooms; let stand until softened, about 15 min.  Drain, reserving the soaking liquid, and coarsely chop.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a nonstick dutch oven over med-high heat.  Add portobello mushrooms, leek, celery, and carrot.  Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables become tender, 8-10 minutes.  Add broth, barley, and soaked mushrooms with their reserved soaking liquid; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer covered, until barley is tender, 40-45 minutes.  Stir in the dill.

Ladle soup into each of 6 serving bowls.  TOp each serving with 1 tbsp yogurt, serve at once.

Nutritional info: Per serving (generous 1 cup): 160 calories, 3 g fat (0 g saturated, 0 g trans), 0 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein.

recipe adapted from Diabetes in a New Light

 Our "version"turned out just like Bobby's.  It was so filling, one serving filled you up.  I can't wait to make this delicious soup over and over again.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to make this for Ben! We enjoyed the sample you gave us, even little th Paigey ate that instead of her pizza for dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...